The Graduate Center is allowed to nominate up to four students for the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Summer Research Program. Students conducting research in all fields of the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences are included under this program.
The Graduate Center’s internal deadline is December 1, 2020, 5pm. Students who wish to be considered must submit a completed application (along with any supporting materials) to Dr. Edith Gonzalez in the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs as a single pdf file. The applications will be reviewed by the Graduate Center to determine which students will be nominated.
Below is a general announcement, eligibility requirements, and link to the application.
JSPS Summer Program provides opportunities for young pre- and post-doctoral researchers from the US, Canada and Europe to receive an online orientation and Japanese lessons and to pursue research under the guidance of host researchers at Japanese universities and research institutes over a period of two months during the summer.
JSPS Summer Program 2021 is scheduled as follows (modified due to COVID-19):
Wednesday, June 16 – Wednesday, August 18, 2021
- Be U.S. citizens or permanent residents;
- Be enrolled in a university graduate program or hold a doctorate degree when the program goes into effect, which must have been received within six years prior to April 1, 2021 (not required to hold full-time position.);
- Be enrolled at an institution located in the United States;
- Have received in advance acceptance from their host researchers; and
- Aspire to become a researcher in future
*Applicants must meet all of the criteria above.
**Those who have previously been awarded a fellowship under a JSPS Fellowship Programs are not eligible.
The application guidelines and form can be downloaded at the link below:
It may be necessary to cut and paste the above link into your browser.