The University Student Senate (USS) is pleased to announce their Ernesto Malave Merit, Graduate Peer Mentoring, and Donald and Mary Ellen Passantino Scholarships competition.
One Ernesto Malave Merit Scholarship of $1500.00 will be awarded to a Graduate Center student in good academic standing with a 3.5 GPA and above demonstrating outstanding academic and leadership performance under extraordinary circumstances.
The Donald and Mary Ellen Passantino Awards are for Graduate Center students with a disability and / or international students that have at least a 2.5 GPA. One Donald and Mary Ellen Passantino Award of $1000.00 shall be awarded to a student with a disability and one to an international student. These scholarships recognizes international students and students with disabilities who have demonstrated outstanding scholarship and enthusiastic leadership and service under extraordinary circumstances.
In 2013, the University Student Senate of the City University of New York established the Graduate Peer Mentoring Scholarship. The scholarship awards $1000.00 to one student per campus, per academic year with a 3.0 GPA and above and demonstrating a tremendous effort to help other graduate students through academic support, professional development, and leadership development within their college community.
Applicants can apply to only ONE scholarship per academic year (either the Ernesto Malave Merit, Graduate Peer Mentoring, or the Donald and Mary Ellen Passantino Scholarship).
All applications must be received by the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, The Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Avenue – Room 7301– New York, New York 10016, by June 19.
Applications can be found athttp://www.usscuny.org/scholarship-applicationand in the Student Affairs office, room 7301.
THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA MUST BE MET BY ALL APPLICANTS IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ANY USS Scholarship:
- During the current semester in which the student applies for a scholarship, applicants shall be matriculated students, in active attendance:
- Graduate applicants must be registered for a minimum of three (3)
- Applicants shall also meet the same requirements during the semester which the scholarship is awarded. Therefore, graduating students are not eligible.
- Graduate applicants must have completed a minimum of three (3) credits at a CUNY college.
- All applicants must be permanent residents, citizens, NYC residents or International Students to apply (Please note: the Passantino International Scholarship is only open to International students)
Each Application Must Be Accompanied By:
- One letter of recommendation from a CUNY faculty member.
- One original, typed, essay of no more than 750 words
- An official letter verifying enrollment of the current academic year.
- An official or unofficial transcript
- Bursar receipts for the current and upcoming semesters. (Proof of fall 2018 Registration)
- A signed Declaration Form that will enable the college Chief Student Affairs Administrator to verify the applicant’s GPA and credit/enrollment information.
Additional Requirements for International Students:
The following documents must accompany the application packet:
- An ITIN or Social Security Number.
- A copy of the F1 Visa.
- A copy of the I-20.
- A copy of the I-94 Card.
- A letter of verification from the International Student Advisor.
Additional Requirements for the USS Donald and Mary Ellen Passantino International Students and Students with Disabilities Scholarship:
Only graduate students with disabilities and/or international students are eligible.
- Applicants to the USS Donald and Mary Ellen Passantino International Students and Students with Disabilities Scholarship must have attained a minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- For students with disabilities, applications shall be accompanied by a letter of verification from the college’s Manager of Disability Services.
- For international students, a letter of verification from the International Student Advisor.
Additional Requirements for the Ernesto Malave Merit Scholarship:
- Applicants to the Merit Scholarship must have attained a 3.5 GPA average
Additional Requirements for the Graduate Peer Mentoring Scholarship:
- Applicants to the Graduate Peer Mentoring Scholarship must have attained a 3.0 GPA average.
Applications can be found at http://www.usscuny.org/scholarship-application and in the Student Affairs office, room 7301.
All applications must be received by the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, The Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Avenue – Room 7301– New York, New York 10016, by June 19th.
Potential applicants should review the material carefully. Questions that applicants may have after reviewing the scholarship application and information may be addressed to the Student Affairs office at email@example.com